ST. MADOES, Perthshire
"MADOES (ST.), small parish in Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire. It is bounded on the south by the Tay; it contains two hamlets and a pier; it adjoins Glencarse, with post office under Perth; and it comprises 1160 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £5433. Pop. 316. The land is nearly flat. Pitfour Castle, the seat of Sir John S. Richardson, Bart., is the only mansion; and a Caledonian stone circle, a beautiful Runic monument in the churchyard, and a stone historically associated with the battle of Luncarty, are the antiquities. The church contains 410 sittings and the public school has 37 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
St. Madoes churchyard
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 392. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 392/1 B 1591-1819 M 1591-1819 D 1791-1800 392/2 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D -
- The transcription of the section for St Madoes from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.