"MARTIN (ST.), parish, averagely 5 miles north-north-east of Perth. It contains Guildtown and Caroline-Place villages, and its post town is Perth. Its length is 5¾ miles; its greatest breadth 4¼ miles; its area 6565 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £8953. Pop. 741. The surface rises eastward from the left bank of the Tay, attains considerable elevation, and has much diversity in contour. A chief residence is St. Martin's House, and chief antiquities are Macbeth's Castle, vestiges of a Roman road, and remains of several Caledonian stone circles. The church is a handsome edifice of 1842. There are 2 public schools with about 98 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.