[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. MARTIN, a parish in the Strathmore district of county Perth, Scotland, 5 miles N. of Perth. It includes Cairnbeddie, Caroline Place, Guildtown, with Cambus-Michael old church, which belonged to Scone Abbey. Its length eastward is about 6 miles, and its breadth varies from 2 to 4½ miles. The surface of the parish is much diversified by hills and undulation. There are extensive freestone quarries, and rock, marl, and limestone occur. The river Tay traces part of the western boundary. The parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £249. The church, a handsome structure, was erected in 1842. The present parish includes the ancient ones of St. Martin's and Cambus-Michael, which were united about the end of the 17th century. St. Martin's House is a fine modern seat. Traces of a Roman way from Bertha to Cargill still exist, and there are Druidical remains in the neighbourhood. A spot at Cairnbeddie is said to have been the site of a Castle of Macbeth."
"CAIRNBEDDIE, a village in the parish of St. Martin, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 4 miles to the N. of Perth. It is near the Scottish North-Eastern railway."
"CAROLINE PLACE, a village in the parish of St. Martin, in the county of Perth, 5 miles to the N. of Perth."
"GUILDTOWN, a post village in the parish of St. Martin, county Perth, Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Perth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use