ST. MARTIN, Perthshire
"MARTIN (ST.), parish, averagely 5 miles north-north-east of Perth. It contains Guildtown and Caroline-Place villages, and its post town is Perth. Its length is 5 3/4 miles; its greatest breadth 4 1/4 miles; its area 6565 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £8953. Pop. 741. The surface rises eastward from the left bank of the Tay, attains considerable elevation, and has much diversity in contour. A chief residence is St. Martin's House, and chief antiquities are Macbeth's Castle, vestiges of a Roman road, and remains of several Caledonian stone circles. The church is a handsome edifice of 1842. There are 2 public schools with about 98 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
St. Martins churchyard
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
Interment registers are available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie. Please consult the cemeteries page.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 393. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 393/1 B 1686-1819 M 1686-1819 D 1791-1800 393/2 B - M 1712-1749 D 1712-1749 393/3 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D -
- The transcription of the section for St Martin from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.