TIBBERMORE, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TIBBERMORE, (or Tippermuir), a parish in county Perth, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Hillyland and Ruthvenfield, or Huntingtower. It extends in length about 6 miles from E. to W., with a varying breadth of from 1 to 3 miles, and its northern boundary is traversed by the Pow brook and the river Almond. The land is chiefly fertile, and well wooded. The soil is various, and the predominant rock Old Red sandstone. The village is about 5 miles W. of Perth, on the river Almond, and is traversed by the N. and the S. roads from Perth to Crieff, the road from Perth to Muthil, and the Crieff branch of the Caledonian railway. It has given its name to the first battle fought between the Marquis of Montrose and the Covenanters, though the conflict occurred within the parish of Aberdalgie. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £265. The parish church was erected in 1632, and enlarged in 1810. There is a parochial school, and at Ruthven is a non-parochial school. A Carmelite convent formerly existed at Tullilum, and synods were held till 1460 by the bishops of Dunkeld, who resided here. The ancient castle of Huntingtower, once the seat of the Gourie family, was the place where James VI. was some time confined by the Earl of Gourie and other conspirators in 1582."
"HILLYLAND, a village in the parish of Tibbermore, county Perth, Scotland, 4 miles W. of Perth."
"RUTHVEN, (or Ruthvenfield), a village in the parish of Tibbermore, county Perth, Scotland, 2½ miles W. of Perth. It is a station on the Perth, Almond Valley, and Methven railway. Its principal attraction is Huntingtower Castle, situated on the southern bank of the Almond, and which formerly belonged to the Ruthvens, or Gowries, who detained James VI. as prisoner here in 1582. This enterprise is usually styled by historians the "Raid of Ruthven," and brought on those concerned the penalties of high treason. After the forfeiture by the last Earl of Gowrie, this castle and the adjoining manor were bestowed by James VI. upon the family of Tullibardine, now united, by marriage, to the illustrious family of Athol, in whose possession they still remain. This castle, in which the proud and powerful baron once confined his sovereign as a prisoner, was, at the commencement of the present century, occupied by a colony of calico-printers."
"TULLOCH, a village in the city and county of Perth, Scotland, 2 miles N.W. of Perth. It is the place where potatoes were first introduced by an Irish gentleman named Christie. There are bleach and print works, which are said to have been the earliest established in Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use