TULLIALLAN, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TULLIALLAN, a parish in the district of Western Perth, county Perth, Scotland. It comprises Kincardine, a burgh of, barony, and the village of Longannat. The parish extends in length about 2¾ miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of nearly 2½ miles, and is bounded on the S.W. and S. by the Frith of Forth, and on the other sides by the parishes of Culross and Clackmannan. Its surface has a gentle slope from the northern boundary to the Forth, in which direction it is screened by rising grounds and plantations. The coastline is about 3¾ miles in extent, being moderately even from the western boundary to the New Pans, but in the extreme E. it is rocky and bare, and in parts covered by the tide. Excellent coal and ironstone abound, and at Longannat sandstone of good quality is extensively worked. The land for the most part is well cultivated; there are about 500 acres of wood. The village of Tulliallan is about 2 miles S.E. of Clackmannan, and is situated at the top of the Frith of Forth, near the ferry to Higgin's Neuk. It has great facility of communication by railway and by river steamer at Kincardine. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling. The stipend of the minister is about £259. The parish church was erected in 1833. There area Free church, United Presbyterian church, also a parochial school, subscription library, and other schools. The principal seat is the Castle, near which is the ruined wall of the castle of the Blackadders."
"KINCARDINE, a post town and seaport in the parish of Tulliallan, county Perth, Scotland. It is situated on the Frith of Forth at Higgins Neuk ferry, 3 miles S.S.E. of Clackmannan, and 4 W. of Culross. It is a station on the Stirling and Dunfermline line. At one period this place was known as West Pans, from the salt works here, which have long ceased to exist. It is an irregularly built town with narrow streets, and, although it has some good houses, has not on the whole a prepossessing appearance. Ship building was carried on here to a large extent at one period, but has greatly declined. Several shipowners are settled in the town. The shipping belonging to the port amounts to above 9,000 tons, and is worth about £108,000. There are distilleries, rope and sailcloth factories, and bonding warehouses. Weaving is carried on to a small extent. The Commercial and Union banks have each a branch. It is a burgh of barony under the Earl of Elgin, and is governed by three bailiffs. The parish church of Tulliallan, a modern structure, is situated in the town. The United Presbyterians and Free Church have each a place of worship. The sheriffs small-debt courts are held on the first Mondays in February, May, August, and November. A commodious harbour and excellent quay have been constructed, which, together with the good anchorage ground of the Forth, render this haven an eligible refuge for vessels in distress. The harbour is capable of admitting vessels of from three to four hundred tons burthen. The Stirling and Granton steamers call here regularly. Along the Forth two large embankments have been made, reclaiming about 366 acres. Fairs are held on the last Friday of July (old style), and the Monday before Falkirk fair."
"LONGANNAT, a village in the parish of Tulliallan, county Perth, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Clackmannan. It is situated on the Frith of Forth. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the stone quarries."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use