For an excellent history of Cathcart, "Villages of Glasgow", Volume 2 by Aileen Smart, pp. 23-47 can be strongly recommended. The book was published in 1996 by John Donald Publishers Ltd., 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3 5AA (ISBN 0 85976 391 9). Included with the history is a map of Cathcart.
The former Lanarkshire portion of the parish was divided in two, one being a detached part of it, and the other forming part of its main portion. The Boundary Commissioners in 1891 transferred the detached part to the parish of East Kilbride, thus remaining in Lanarkshire, while the remainder of the parish of Cathcart was placed wholly in the county of Renfrew. As this, however, caused the boundary between the two counties to run along the centre of a road, that part of it (see CARMUNNOCK) which had been divided between the parishes of Cathcart and Carmunnock was placed wholly in the parish of Cathcart. Then, in 1892, the Commissioners transferred from the parish Crosshill, Mount Florida, Langside, and Crossmyloof to Lanarkshire, these places having been incorporated in the extended City of Glasgow.
Cathcart District Railway, a circular line that leaves the Caledonian railway a little beyond Eglinton Street station, Glasgow, on the south side of the Clyde. With a station at Pollokshields East, it turns eastwards to Queen's Park and Crosshill, and then makes a turn southward to Mount Florida and Cathcart. A recent extension turns westward, north-westward, northward, and again eastward, with stations at Langside, Pollokshaws, Shawlands, and Maxwell Park. The various stations on the line are what are known as island stations, and there are many bridges and some deep cuttings.
[Extracts from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, (1896)]
Cathcart Architecture and History provides an excellent description of the ancient parish of Cathcart, containing maps, drawings and photographs.