"CATHCART, parish, chiefly in Renfrewshire, but partly in Lanarkshire, and including parts of the southern suburbs of Glasgow. It has a post office of its own name, under Glasgow, and contains the Queen's Park, the town of Crosshill, the villages of New Cathcart, Old Cathcart, Crossmyloof, Langside, Camphill, Prospect Hill, Florida, Clarkston Toll, Hangingshaw, Millbridge, Netherlee, and part of the town of Busby. Its length is 4 miles; its greatest breadth about 2 miles; its area, in Renfrewshire, 2667 acres; in Lanarkshire, 1397 acres. Pop., quoad civilia, 12,023 and 188; quoad sacra, 7242 and 73. The northern section is a charming expanse of rolling landscape, very rich in both natural beauty and artificial embellishment; but the southern section is somewhat hilly and comparatively bleak and barren. A tract of much interest is the battlefield of Langside; and an object of much note is Cathcart Castle, a place of conflict in the times of Wallace and Bruce, and long the seat of the distinguished family of its own name, but now a diminished ivy-clad ruin. The Cathcart family acquired the title of baron in the peerage of Scotland about 1447, and the titles of viscount and earl in the peerage of the United Kingdom in respectively 1807 and 1814. Their hereditary estates were alienated in 1546, but partly repurchased within the present century. Their present seat in the parish is Cathcart House. Other seats are Aikenhead, Langside, Netherlee, Camphill, and numerous villas. ..... There are 10 schools for 1686 scholars, and 2 of them for 700 are new."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
"Villages of Glasgow", Volume 2 by Aileen Smart, pp. 23-47. The book was published in 1996 by John Donald Publishers Ltd., 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3 5AA (ISBN 0 85976 391 9). Included with the history is a map of Cathcart.
160 Brenfield Road,
There are various entrances, mainly pedestrian, but the best place to start is on Netherlee Road were there are two large gateways which face each other on either side of the road, leading into the older (Cathcart) section and the newer (Linn) section.
413 Lainshaw Drive,
First Burial - July 1961.
The Linn Cemetery Lainshaw Drive, Glasgow, G45 9SP.
The Linn Crematorium Lainshaw Drive, Glasgow, G45 9SP.
There is a rootschat thread on the Cathcart and Linn cemeteries.
"The churches are 3 Established, 4 Free, and 4 United Presbyterian.."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Cathcart parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1701-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1690-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1746-1854
- Churches in Cathcart (NS581606):
- St Aidan, Mearns Road, Clarkston, Scottish Episcopal
- Church of Scotland
- St Joseph, Eaglesham Road, Clarkston, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cathcart area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- St Aidan, Mearns Road, Clarkston, Scottish Episcopal
A description of Cathcart transcribed from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Cathcart has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
For an excellent history of Cathcart, "Villages of Glasgow", Volume 2 by Aileen Smart, pp. 23-47 can be strongly recommended. The book was published in 1996 by John Donald Publishers Ltd., 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3 5AA (ISBN 0 85976 391 9). Included with the history is a map of Cathcart.
The former Lanarkshire portion of the parish was divided in two, one being a detached part of it, and the other forming part of its main portion. The Boundary Commissioners in 1891 transferred the detached part to the parish of East Kilbride, thus remaining in Lanarkshire, while the remainder of the parish of Cathcart was placed wholly in the county of Renfrew. As this, however, caused the boundary between the two counties to run along the centre of a road, that part of it (see CARMUNNOCK) which had been divided between the parishes of Cathcart and Carmunnock was placed wholly in the parish of Cathcart. Then, in 1892, the Commissioners transferred from the parish Crosshill, Mount Florida, Langside, and Crossmyloof to Lanarkshire, these places having been incorporated in the extended City of Glasgow.
Cathcart District Railway, a circular line that leaves the Caledonian railway a little beyond Eglinton Street station, Glasgow, on the south side of the Clyde. With a station at Pollokshields East, it turns eastwards to Queen's Park and Crosshill, and then makes a turn southward to Mount Florida and Cathcart. A recent extension turns westward, north-westward, northward, and again eastward, with stations at Langside, Pollokshaws, Shawlands, and Maxwell Park. The various stations on the line are what are known as island stations, and there are many bridges and some deep cuttings.
[Extracts from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, (1896)]
Cathcart Architecture and History provides an excellent description of the ancient parish of Cathcart, containing maps, drawings and photographs.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
q. s. parish
1881 7315 1891 9539
1801 1059 1831 2282 1861 3782 1871 7231 1881 12205 1891 16589