"EAGLESHAM, town and parish in south-east of Renfrewshire. The parish is about 7 miles long and 6 miles broad, and comprises 15,666 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £14,675. Pop. 1385. The surface list at elevations of more than 500 feet above sea level, has hills from 1000 to 1200 feet of altitude, and includes a considerable aggregate of moor. Polnoon Lodge is a chief residence; and Polnoon Castle, the seat of the ancestors of the Earl of Eglinton, but now reduced to mere sub-basement, is a chief antiquity."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Eaglesham parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1659-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1723-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Churches in Eaglesham (NS573518):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Eaglesham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Eaglesham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.