"EAGLESHAM, town and parish in south-east of Renfrewshire. The parish is about 7 miles long and 6 miles broad, and comprises 15,666 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £14,675. Pop. 1385. The surface list at elevations of more than 500 feet above sea level, has hills from 1000 to 1200 feet of altitude, and includes a considerable aggregate of moor. Polnoon Lodge is a chief residence; and Polnoon Castle, the seat of the ancestors of the Earl of Eglinton, but now reduced to mere sub-basement, is a chief antiquity."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries.
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Eaglesham parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1659-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1723-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Churches in Eaglesham (NS573518):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Eaglesham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Eaglesham to another place.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Eaglesham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.