"GREENOCK, town and three parishes on Firth of Clyde, in north-west of Renfrewshire. ..... The parishes are East, Middle, and West; they are treated in many respects as one; and they contain Fort Matilda and a suburb of Port Glasgow. Their length along the coast is 4¾ miles; their greatest breadth nearly 3 miles; their area 6021 acres. ..... Pop. of the East, 21,6111; of the Middle, 6180; of the West, 40,627. ..... The shore is low and sandy; the immediate seaboard, or belt contiguous to the shore, is low and flat; the western section inward from that belt is Binnan's Hill, rising gradually to a high, bold, abrupt face overhanging Fort Matilda; the tract immediately south-west of the town is a fine hill-girt vale, traversed by road and railway toward Innerkip; the tract from that vale to the eastern boundary is a hill-group or hill-ridge with summits from 804 to 995 feet high; and the south-eastern section is high moorland, with sources of Gryfe river. Sandstone and trap rock are quarried."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]