"HOUSTON, village and parish in north centre of Renfrewshire. The village stands on burn of its own name, 5 miles west-north-west of Paisley; succeeded an ancient village, called originally Hugh's town, situated a little farther down the burn, and nearly all demolished in 1780; is a neat place, all erected after the demolition of the old village; and has a post office under Johnstone, a railway station 3½ miles to the north-east, Established, Free, and Roman Catholic churches, and a public school with about 119 scholars."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
- Churches in Houston (NS411670):
- View pictures of Houston.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Houston has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.