"INCHINNAN, parish on the Clyde, north-westward from the Cart, Renfrewshire. Its post town is Paisley. Its length is 3¼ miles; its greatest breadth 2¾ miles; its area 3330 acres. ..... Pop. 505. The surface is partly flat, partly diversified by diluvial rising-grounds, and all highly cultinated. The seats are Park and South Barr; and other objects of interest are the sites of Inchinnan Palace and North Barr baronial fortalice. The lands and the quondam palace belonged to successively the High Stewards of Scotland and the Earls of Lennox."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
"The parochial church occupies the site of a Culdee cell, and is a handsome edifice of 1828. The Free church was erected subsequent to 1843."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Inchinnan parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1722-1848
Marriages or Banns ~ 1722-1850
Deaths or Burials ~ 1783-1789
- Churches in Inchinnan (NS477691):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Inchinnan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Inchinnan has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.