Inverkip or Innerkip

"INNERKIP, village and parish in extreme west of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also the town of Gourock, measures 6¼ miles by 5¾ miles and comprises 12,549 acres. ..... Pop., quoad civilia, 5359; quoad sacra, 882. The surface is bounded on the east by lofty hills, on the north and the west by Firth of Clyde, on the south by Kelly burn; is intersected south-westward by the narrow vale of Kip rivulet; consists chiefly of bleak moors and pastoral heights; has a narrow strip of low ground along the coast; and exhibits great diversity of feature, and considerable aggregate of embellishment. The seats are Ardgowan, Kelly, Leven, Langhouse, Ashburn, and Gourock House; and antiquities are Ardgowan old tower and a Roman bridge on Dunrod burn. Five places of worship and 2 public schools are in Gourock."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]


Bibliography

Cemeteries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Innerkip or Inverkip parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1694-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1757-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Inverkip or Innerkip to another place.

Historical Geography

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS209719 (Lat/Lon: 55.906827, -4.866768), Inverkip which are provided by:

Population