Inverkip or Innerkip
"INNERKIP, village and parish in extreme west of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also the town of Gourock, measures 6¼ miles by 5¾ miles and comprises 12,549 acres. ..... Pop., quoad civilia, 5359; quoad sacra, 882. The surface is bounded on the east by lofty hills, on the north and the west by Firth of Clyde, on the south by Kelly burn; is intersected south-westward by the narrow vale of Kip rivulet; consists chiefly of bleak moors and pastoral heights; has a narrow strip of low ground along the coast; and exhibits great diversity of feature, and considerable aggregate of embellishment. The seats are Ardgowan, Kelly, Leven, Langhouse, Ashburn, and Gourock House; and antiquities are Ardgowan old tower and a Roman bridge on Dunrod burn. Five places of worship and 2 public schools are in Gourock."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Innerkip or Inverkip parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1694-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1757-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Churches in Inverkip (NS209719):
- Church of Scotland, Innerkip
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Inverkip area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Inverkip has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.