"JOHNSTONE, town and quoad sacra parish in Renfrewshire. The town stands on the Black Cart, at the end of Paisley Canal, 3½ miles west-by-south of Paisley; was founded in 1781, on a regular plan, as a seat of manufacture; comprises two squares, intersecting streets, and two small suburbs; contains cotton factories, foundries, and other industrial establishments; publishes 4 weekly newspapers; and has a head post office with money order and telegraph departments, a railway station, 4 banking offices, a public hall, an Established church built in 1793 and repaired in 1877, a Free church, 2 United Presbyterian churches, Episcopalian and Roman Catholic churches, and 3 large public schools. Pop. of the town, 9267; of the quoad sacra parish, 9201. Johnstone Castle, about a mile south-east of the town, is an elegant modern mansion."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]