"JOHNSTONE, town and quoad sacra parish in Renfrewshire. The town stands on the Black Cart, at the end of Paisley Canal, 3½ miles west-by-south of Paisley; was founded in 1781, on a regular plan, as a seat of manufacture; comprises two squares, intersecting streets, and two small suburbs; contains cotton factories, foundries, and other industrial establishments; publishes 4 weekly newspapers; and has a head post office with money order and telegraph departments, a railway station, 4 banking offices, a public hall, an Established church built in 1793 and repaired in 1877, a Free church, 2 United Presbyterian churches, Episcopalian and Roman Catholic churches, and 3 large public schools. Pop. of the town, 9267; of the quoad sacra parish, 9201. Johnstone Castle, about a mile south-east of the town, is an elegant modern mansion."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
- Churches in Johnstone (NS435625):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Johnstone area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Johnstone has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.