"KILBARCHAN, town and parish in centre of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also Clippens-Square and Linwood villages, and part of Bridge of Weir town; measures about 7 miles by 4; and comprises 9006 acres. ..... The north-eastern section, peninsulated by the Gryfe and the Black Cart, is low and flat; the middle section is diversified by many rising-grounds; and the south-western section rises into considerable hills. The seats are Milliken, Blackstone, Glentyan, Craigends, and Clippens; and chief antiquities are ruins of Ranfurly Castle, remains of a semi-circular camp, and sites of several medieval chapels. A Free church is at Bridge of Weir."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]