"KILBARCHAN, town and parish in centre of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also Clippens-Square and Linwood villages, and part of Bridge of Weir town; measures about 7 miles by 4; and comprises 9006 acres. ..... The north-eastern section, peninsulated by the Gryfe and the Black Cart, is low and flat; the middle section is diversified by many rising-grounds; and the south-western section rises into considerable hills. The seats are Milliken, Blackstone, Glentyan, Craigends, and Clippens; and chief antiquities are ruins of Ranfurly Castle, remains of a semi-circular camp, and sites of several medieval chapels. A Free church is at Bridge of Weir."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]




Church History

Church Records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Kilbarchan parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1651-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1650-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1743-1744

Civil Registration

Description and Travel


Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Kilbarchan to another place.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS405635 (Lat/Lon: 55.838324, -4.548636), Kilbarchan which are provided by: