Lochwinnoch

"LOCHWINNOCH, town and parish in southwest border of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also the villages of Howwood and Newton-of-Beltrees, measures about 12 miles by 6, and comprises 19,507 acres. ..... The surface is bisected by Castle-Semple Loch, includes a rich valley along the sides of that lake, rises thence vry irregularly to the south-eastern and north-western boundaries, and culminates in the north-west in the lofty hill of Mistylaw. Coal, limestone, and sandstone are worked. Chief seats are Castle-Semple, Barr, and Garthland; and chief antiquities are Barr, Elliston, and Auchenbathie castles. A chapel-of-ease is at Howwood, and 5 schools for 597 scholars are in the parish."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]


Bibliography

Cemeteries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Lochwinnoch parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1718-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1718-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Lochwinnoch to another place.

Historical Geography

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS352588 (Lat/Lon: 55.794357, -4.630325), Lochwinnoch which are provided by:

Population