"LOCHWINNOCH, town and parish in south-west border of Renfrewshire. The town stands near Castle-Semple Loch, 9¾ miles south-west of Paisley; carries on considerable manufacture; and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, designated of Renfrewshire, a railway station, a banking office, Established, Free, and United Presbyterian churches, and 2 public schools with about 323 scholars. Pop. 1192."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]