"MEARNS, parish, containing Newton Mearns village and part of Busby town, in south-east of Renfrewshire. Its length is 7½ miles; its greatest breadth 3⅓ miles; its area 10,281 acres. ..... Pop. 3965. The surface rises gradually from north-east to south-west, is mostly diversified with rising-grounds and small green hills, and includes, in the north-west, a considerable extent of moor. Chief seats are Upper Pollock, Capelrig, Southfield, and Greenbank; and the chief antiquity is Mearns Castle, a well-preserved ancient tower, once the principal seat of the Earls of Nithsdale. ..... There were formerly 6 schools for 467 scholars, and there are now, in lieu of these, 2 new ones for 815."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]