"NEILSTON, town and parish in upper ward of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also Crofthead, West Arthurlee, Newton Ralston, Gateside, and Uplawmoor villages, Cross Arthurlee and Grahamston suburbs, and most of Barrhead town. Its length is nearly 7 miles; its greatest breadth 4¾ miles; its area 12,481 acres. ..... The land, in the north-east, is flat; through most of the centre, is valley; in the west, is part of the Fereneze Hills; in the south-east, includes the fine hill-ridges of Neilston-Park and Corkindale-Law, commanding magnificent views. Several lakes and reservoirs are in the south; and springs of purest water, one of them discharging 42 gallons per minute, are numerous. Chief seats are Arthurlee and Crofthead; chief spots of antiquarian interest are the sites of old castles and two religious houses; and prominent objects are numerous printfields, bleachfields and cotton factories. Five places of worship are in Barrhead. Seven schools for 1338 scholars are in the parish, and 2 of them for 655 are new. Neilston-Pad is 854 feet high."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Births or Baptisms ~ 1688-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1737-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1744-1816 and 1822-1851
- Churches in Neilston (NS480572):
- Church of Scotland
- St John, Aurs Road, Barrhead, Roman Catholic
- St Thomas, Main Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Neilston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Church of Scotland
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.