Pollokshaws

"POLLOCKSHAWS, town on the White Cart, 2½ miles south-south-west of Glasgow. It stands in Eastwood parish, which had for ministers the ecclesiastical historians Crawford and Woodrow; consists of irregularly-arranged streets, but presents a pleasant appearance; is a prosperous seat of manufacture; and has a post office with money order and telegraph departments, under Glasgow, a railway station, 2 banking offices, a town hall, 2 Established churches, 2 Free churches, United Presbyterian, Original Secession, and Roman Catholic churches, an academy so enlarged in 1879 as to have capacity for about 550 scholars, the Sir John Maxwell school, with about the same capacity as the academy, and a handsome monument to the historian Woodrow. Pop. 9363. Part of this town forms a quoad sacra parish. Pop. 6402."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]


Bibliography

"Villages of Glasgow", Volume 2 by Aileen Smart, pp. 163-185. The book was published in 1996 by John Donald Publishers Ltd., 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3 5AA (ISBN 0 85976 391 9). Included with the history is a map of Pollokshaws.

Cemeteries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Pollokshaws to another place.

Historical Geography

History

For an excellent history of the town of Pollokshaws, "Villages of Glasgow", Volume 2 by Aileen Smart, pp. 163-185 can be highly recommend. The book was published in 1996 by John Donald Publishers Ltd., 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3 5AA (ISBN 0 85976 391 9). Included with the history is a map of Pollokshaws.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS555615 (Lat/Lon: 55.825094, -4.308265), Pollokshaws which are provided by:

Population