"PORT GLASGOW, town and parish on north coast of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish excludes a western part of the town, measures about 1 1/2 miles by 1, and comprises 944 acres. ..... Pop. of the whole, quoad civilia, 10,912; quoad sacra, 7556. The surface comprises prolongation of the low flat tract contiguous to the Clyde, a rapid ascent of green and wooded hill thence to the middle, and a tabular tract thence to the southern boundary."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world.Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Port Glasgow parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1696-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1696-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Churches in Port Glasgow (NS327743):
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Port Glasgow to another place.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Ports Glasgow has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.