"RENFREW, town and parish in upper part of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also part of Paisley town and Yoker village, measures 6¼ miles by 2 1/2, and comprises 4311 acres. ..... Pop. of the whole, quoad civilia, 7439; quoad sacra, 7267. The surface is cut into nearly three equal sections the the Clyde and the White Cart; and excepting the isolated eminence of Knock in the south, and some low undulating outskirts of the Lennox Hills on the north, is all low and level. The soil almost everywhere is deep and fertile, and the general landscape is much embellished. Excellent coal is worked in the north. Chief seats are Blythswood, Elderslie, Scotstown, Jordanhill, and Walkingshaw; and chief antiquities are the site of the ancient residence of the royal stewarts, the lands of Knock, which gave name to the distinguished family of Knox, and a fragmentary rock on the spot where the Earl of Argyle was wounded and taken prisoner in 1685. Five schools for 621 scholars are in the parish, and 2 of them for 240 are new."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Births or Baptisms ~ 1673-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1673-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1732-1776
- Churches in Renfrew (NS505674):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Renfrew area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- View pictures of Renfrew.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Renfrew has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about the place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.