"ALNESS, a parish in the county of Ross, Scotland, 9 miles to the W. of Cromarty. Its name signifies "brook of the headland;" and alludes to the promontory named Alness Point. It extends from the frith of Cromarty, along the south bank of Alness Water, formerly called the river Averon, to the mountains in which the river takes its rise. In the higher part of the parish there are fine straths and glens, and two lakes, Loch Glass and Loch Moir. Iron ore is obtained in the district, and small quantities of silver have been found. Part of the land is under tillage, and part is used for sheep-walks. Trout abounds in the river. The living is in the presbytery of Dingwall, value £231, in the patronage of the Marchioness of Stafford. The parish church was built in 1780, has been repeatedly repaired, and contains about 800 sittings. There is a Free church, two society's schools, an assembly's school, and a private school. The parish extends over an area of about fifty square miles."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Alness from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Alness.