"APPLECROSS, a parish in the county of Ross, Scotland, 11 miles to the N.W. of Jean-town. It is situated on the western coast of the county, between Loch Torriden in the N. and Loch Carron in the S. It formed part of the parish of Lochcarron before 1726, when it was erected into a separate parish by the name of Applecross; its native name still is Comrich, or Comaraich. It includes the quoad sacra parish of Shieldag and the island of Croulin. The district is wholly mountainous and uncultivated, red sandstone being the prevailing rock. There are some lime quarries, and copper has been found in small quantities. There was formerly a religious establishment on the island of Croulin, which had privilege of sanctuary. The people speak the Gaelic language. They are employed chiefly in the salmon and herring fishing. The living is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, value £158, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church was built in 1817, and has 800 sittings. There is also a government church at Shieldag, built in 1827, and a preaching station at Kishorn, besides a Free church at Applecross, and a Free Church preaching station at Shieldag, which is 12 miles distant from the parish church. Applecross House is the seat of the chief heritor."
"SHIELDAG, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Applecross and Gairloch, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland It extends in length about 18 miles, with an extreme breadth of about 15 miles. The surface is of an uneven character, rising behind the village into a gigantic cliff or headland. The bay, which is 2½ miles in length by 1 mile broad, extends southward of the middle division of Loch Torridon. The village of Shieldag is about 12 miles N.W. of Lochcarron, and 15 N.W. of Janetown. It is situated on Shieldag Loch, near Loch Torridon. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries. Shieldag is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £100. The church, which is a parliamentary one, was erected in 1827. There is also a Free church."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003