"AVOCH, (or Auch), a parish and postal village in the county of Ross, Scotland, 7 miles to the N. of Inverness. It lies in a district mostly mountainous on the west coast of the Moray Frith. Fishing forms the principal occupation of the inhabitants. Useful building stone, from which the works at Fort George were built, is quarried here. The living is of the yearly value of £249, in the presbytery of Chanoury, and in the patronage of the Sir J. R. Mackenzie, Bart., chief heritor, whose seat is Rosehaugh House, not far from Bonar Bridge. The parish has an area of about 7,000 acres, and lies between Inverness at one end of it and Fortrose and Fort George at the other."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Avoch from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Avoch.