"BARVAS, a parish in the Island of Lewis (the largest and most northern of the Western Isles), in the county of Ross, Scotland. It lies at the Butt, or north end of Lewis, and is about 50 miles from Loch Ewe and the coast of Ross. It was formerly of larger extent than it is at present, including that part of the island now forming the parish of Cross. The district is level and mostly uncultivated, with a rocky and dangerous coast. There are no trees, and hardly any shrubs. Several small streams run from lakes in the moors to the ocean. The inhabitants speak the Gaelic language only, and are employed in agriculture or in fishing. The village of Barvas stands at the north side of the mouth of the river Barvas. The living, value £158, is in the presbytery of Lewis, and in the gift of the crown. There is a Free church at Barvas, and also one at Cross, or Ness, the northern district, which has also a government church under the patronage of the crown. The parish contains the ruins of several Danish forts, and in many villages are remains of ancient Romish chapels. The parish extends about 18 miles in length and 6 miles in breadth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Barvas from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.