CONTIN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CONTIN, a parish in the district of Wester Rose, in the county of Ross, Scotland. It is bounded on the N. by Lochbroom, on the E. by Urray and Fodderly, on the S. by Urray and Kilmorack, and on the W. by Gairloch and Lochcarron. It is about 30 miles in length, and the same in breadth. The surface is mountainous, with some well-cultivated valleys. It is drained by the Conan and its tributaries flowing eastward into the Cromarty Firth. There are many lakes, some of which, such as lochs Fannich, Chroish, and Luichart, are of considerable size. Loch Achilty discharges its surplus water by a subterranean canal, and has an artificial island, formerly used as a retreat from danger. Loch Kinnelan has also an artificial floating island, the base of which is timber, and on its banks is a good echo. Natural wood exists in considerable quantity. There is a Druidical circle on the E. side of Loch Achilty; and E. of Loch Kinellan is the battlefield on which the Mackenzies of Seaforth routed the Macdonnells of Glengarry. The principal mansion is that of Sir George Mackenzie, Bart., at Coul. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall, and in the patronage of the crown. Stipend £265. There are two parliamentary churches in the parish, one at Ceanloch-Luichart, and the other in Strathconan, where also there is a Free Church preaching station. Fairs are held at Contin in January, May, and August."
"JAMESTOWN, a village in the parish of Contin, county Ross, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Dingwall."
"KINLOCHLYCHART, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Contin, Fodderty, and Urray, county Ross, 5 miles S.W. of Dingwall. The living is in the presbytery of Dingwall and in the patronage of the crown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]