"CROMARTY, a parish in the district of Easter Ross, in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It is bounded by the Cromarty Firth on the N., the Moray Firth on the E., and the parishes of Rosemarkie and Resolis on the S. and W. It is 7 miles long from E. to W., with a breadth varying from 1 to 4 miles. The cliffs at the E. of the parish, overlooking the junction of the Cromarty and Moray Firths, are very lofty, attaining a height of nearly 500 feet. The coast line skirting the S. of the Cromarty Firth presents the appearance so frequently met with in other parts of Scotland, of an inland cliff parallel to the sea, and which seems at a recent geological period to have been washed by the tide. The sole proprietors of the parish are Ross of Cromarty, and Munro of Udale. This parish is in the presbytery of Chanonry, and synod of Rose, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is £252. There is a Gaelic chapel, the minister of which has £150 from all sources, including the allowance of £50 from government. There is also a Free church. The town of Cromarty is situated on the E. end of the level terrace which separates the inland cliff, mentioned above, from the sea. In 1861 it contained 327 houses, inhabited by a population of 1,491, against 1,988 in 1851, showing a decrease of 497 in the decennial period. The sea bounds it on two sides, and the scenery on all sides is beautiful in the extreme. The harbour affords shelter to vessels of 400 tons, and is much resorted to as a harbour of refuge from storms. A fixed red light is displayed, visible at a distance of 9 miles. A considerable trade is carried on in the herring fishery. This town unites with Wick, Dingwall, Dornoch, Kirkwall, and Tain, in returning a member to parliament. Its government consists of a provost, 2 bailies, and 7 councillors. It has been rendered famous by the writings of Hugh Miller, who, from the humble occupation of a stonemason, raised himself to a prominent position among the geologists and writers of our day."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)