EDDERTON

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"EDDERTON, a parish in the district of Easter Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 4 miles N.W. of Tain, its post town. It lies along the S. shore of Dornoch Frith, and is otherwise bounded by the parishes of Tain, Logie-Easter, Kilmuir-Easter, Rosskeen, and Kincardine. It is 10 miles in length and 7 wide. The parish is screened in by four hills, the highest of which is 1,300 feet. The surface assumes the form of three steps, each differing in the nature of its soil, which is drained by four rivulets falling into the frith; one of these burns (Grugag) has a very fine fall. This parish is in the presbytery of Tain, and synod of Ross. The minister has a stipend of 204. The church was built in 1842. Here is a school, attached to the Free church, which was the old parish church, built in 1743. Balnagowan is the seat of Sir C. Ross, Bart.; other seats are Cadboll and Ardmore. A battle was fought here, on Carriblair plain, with the Danes; and a pillar, and some other rude monuments, are said to denote the graves of a Danish prince and his retinue. There are also several round towers or dunes and Druidical remains in the parish."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Description and Travel

View photographs of Edderton and the surrounding area.

Historical Geography

Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.

Maps

View maps of Edderton.

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)