"FEARN, a parish and post village in the district of Easter Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 9 miles N.W. of Fair. It is situated on the coast of the Firth of Moray, and contains the villages of Balintore and Hiltown. It includes Loch Eye. The surface is flat, consisting of a medium soil. This parish is in the presbytery of Tain and synod of Ross, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £252. Here is a Free church and a pay day school. The ruins of an abbey founded in the time of Alexander II. by Farquhar, first Earl of Ross, still exist. In 1742, during public worship, the roof of the abbey fell in, killing several persons. About a mile N.E. of Loch Eye stand the ruins of Lochlin Castle, supposed to be of great antiquity. It was a fortress of immense strength, consisting of two turreted quadrangular towers, touching at the corners. Here are also traces of Cadboll Castle, a place of very ancient foundation. In the parish are Druidical remains, and a square pillar with Saxon inscription."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Fearn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.