"FODDERTY, a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 4 miles W. of Ding, wall. It contains the villages of Balblair, Keithtown, Carnoch, Kinlochyart, Maryburgh, and the postal village of Strathpeffer. It lies at the foot of Ben Wyvis and Knockfallaric, the former rising 3,720 feet above sea level. It is 2 miles long by 1 mile wide, and has Kincardine on the N. and Urray on the S. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall, and synod of Ross. The church was built in 1807. There are two Free churches and a chapel-of-ease. Here are two Society and a Gaelic school. Castle Leod, a fine building, is an old seat of the earls of Cromarty. The British fort of Knockfallaric crowns the summit of a hill, and with its ramparts and breastwork forms one of the most interesting objects of its kind in Scotland. Near this fort is Loch Ussie. Strathpeffer is noted for its medicinal waters. There are extensive sheep-walks on the hills. Lignite coal occurs here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Fodderty from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.