GAIRLOCH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GAIRLOCH, a parish and post-office village in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 46 miles W.N.W. of Dingwall, containing the quoad sacra parishes of Pclewe and Shieldag. It is bounded by the river Greinard on the N., Loch Torridon on the S., and the Minch on the W., and is 32 miles long, and 18 broad. The coast is broken by numberless inlets and sea-lochs, the principal of which are Greinard, Ewe, with its islands, Torridon, and the famed Loch Marie, with its numerous islets, upon one of which Druidical remains exist. This parish is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £240. The church was built in 1791. There is also a church at Polewe, erected by the government, and a Free church at the same place. Here are parish schools and several private establishments. The landowners are the Mackenzies of Gairloch, Coul, Seaforth, and Letterewe, and Davison of Tulloch. Flowerdale Park is a fine seat in this parish, belonging to the Mackenzies. There is a considerable fishery in salmon, cod, and herring. Quartz and Old Red sandstone are the prevailing rocks."
"HORISDALE, an island in the parish of Gairloch, county Ross, coast of Scotland. It is of small extent, and has only five houses on it."
"LONGO, (or Longa), a small island at the mouth of the river Gairloch, and belonging to the parish of Gairloch, on the W. coast of Ross, Scotland."
"MELVILLEDEARG, a village in the parish of Gairloch, county Ross, Scotland, 7 miles S.W. of Gairloch."
"POOLEWE, (or Polewe), a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Gairloch, county Ross, Scotland, 45 miles W. by N. of Dingwall. It is situated in the Highlands, between lochs Ewe and Mare, the latter studded with numerous islands. It extends near 20 miles in length by 12 in breadth, and is traversed by the river Minch. The surface is mountainous, and interspersed with forest and lakes. The land is chiefly highland pasture and waste. The inhabitants are Gaelic-speaking, and many are engaged in the cod and herring fisheries. A steam-boat keeps up constant communication with Stornoway across the Minch. The parish is in the presbytery of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The church was built in 1828. There are also a Free Church preaching station and schools."
"SHIELDAG, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Applecross and Gairloch, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland It extends in length about 18 miles, with an extreme breadth of about 15 miles. The surface is of an uneven character, rising behind the village into a gigantic cliff or headland. The bay, which is 2½ miles in length by 1 mile broad, extends southward of the middle division of Loch Torridon. The village of Shieldag is about 12 miles N.W. of Lochcarron, and 15 N.W. of Janetown. It is situated on Shieldag Loch, near Loch Torridon. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the fisheries. Shieldag is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £100. The church, which is a parliamentary one, was erected in 1827. There is also a Free church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]