"GAIRLOCH, a parish and post-office village in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 46 miles W.N.W. of Dingwall, containing the quoad sacra parishes of Pclewe and Shieldag. It is bounded by the river Greinard on the N., Loch Torridon on the S., and the Minch on the W., and is 32 miles long, and 18 broad. The coast is broken by numberless inlets and sea-lochs, the principal of which are Greinard, Ewe, with its islands, Torridon, and the famed Loch Marie, with its numerous islets, upon one of which Druidical remains exist. This parish is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £240. The church was built in 1791. There is also a church at Polewe, erected by the government, and a Free church at the same place. Here are parish schools and several private establishments. The landowners are the Mackenzies of Gairloch, Coul, Seaforth, and Letterewe, and Davison of Tulloch. Flowerdale Park is a fine seat in this parish, belonging to the Mackenzies. There is a considerable fishery in salmon, cod, and herring. Quartz and Old Red sandstone are the prevailing rocks."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Gairloch from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.