"KILLIERNAN, a parish in the county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Inverness, its post town. It is situated on Beauly Loch, and is 5 miles long by 2 broad. It is bounded inland by the parishes of Urray, Urquhart, and Kilmuir-wester. The great N. road from Kessock Ferry traverses the interior. This parish is, in the presbytery of Chanonry, and synod of Ross. The church is ancient. There are a Free church and two private schools. Redcastle is the seat of Henry James Baillie, M.P. for Inverness. Kilcoy Castle, now a ruin, belongs to the M'Kenzies of Cromarty, who are the landowners. A Druidical circle, called Cairn Irenan, and several cairns, are observed on the hills. Fairs are held in March and July."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Killiernan.