"KILLIERNAN, a parish in the county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Inverness, its post town. It is situated on Beauly Loch, and is 5 miles long by 2 broad. It is bounded inland by the parishes of Urray, Urquhart, and Kilmuir-wester. The great N. road from Kessock Ferry traverses the interior. This parish is, in the presbytery of Chanonry, and synod of Ross. The church is ancient. There are a Free church and two private schools. Redcastle is the seat of Henry James Baillie, M.P. for Inverness. Kilcoy Castle, now a ruin, belongs to the M'Kenzies of Cromarty, who are the landowners. A Druidical circle, called Cairn Irenan, and several cairns, are observed on the hills. Fairs are held in March and July."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]