"KILMUIR-EASTER, a parish in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Tain. It is bounded by the Cromarty Firth, of which it commands a view. It contains the hamlets of Nigg, Kincardine, Ederton, Logie Easter, and Rosskeen. It is 10 miles long, and averages 4 broad. The parish is in the presbytery of Tain, and synod of Ross. The minister's stipend is £212. The parish church is a large edifice erected in 1798. There is a Free church and several schools. The surface is for the most part pasture and barren moor, save near the coast, which is fertile and well cultivated. Portions have been much improved by shell manure. The coast is very flat, and the sea retires so far at the recess of tide as to permit almost of a dry passage to the E. coast. White and red sandstone are the prevalent rocks. The principal residences are Balnagown Castle, Kilmount, Tarbet House, and Kindace House. New Tarbet, formerly the residence of the earls of Cromarty and Delny, and of the earls of Ross, is now in ruins."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Kilmuir-Easter from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Kilmuir Easter.