"KILTEARN, a parish in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Dingwall. It is situated on the Cromarty Frith and river Skiack, the latter being formed by the union of several mountain streams. The parish, formerly a vicarage, is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The minister's stipend is £249, in the patronage of the crown. The church contains tombs of the Munros of Fowlis. The Free Church has a place of worship here. Coal, iron, and lead are found here, but obstacles exist in working them. There are mills of various descriptions in the neighbourhood. The surface is cultivated near the coast, but hilly in other parts, Ben Uaish or Wyvis Point is the highest, being 3,720 feet above the level of the sea, and capped with snow during all the year. There are five old chapels and burying places. Not long since there was a Druidical circle of stones here, but they have been removed in the progress of agriculture."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Kiltearn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Kiltearn.