"KINCARDINE, a parish in the district of Easter Ross, partly in the county of Ross, and partly in the county of Cromarty, Scotland, 12 miles N.W. of Tain. It is situated on the Dornoch Firth at Boner Ferry. It is bounded by the county of Sutherland, and the parishes of Fodderty, Edderton, Lochbroom, and Rosskeen. Its length eastward is about 35 miles, and it varies in breadth from 5 to 20 miles. The parish is in the presbytery of Tain and the synod of Ross. The minister's stipend is £278. There is a Free church. The quoad sacra parish of Croick is in this parish There are several schools throughout the district. The surface is hilly, affording some sheep walks. On the top of a hill at Balnagowan is a bed of shells. Cairns and duns abound in the district. White and coloured marble, and cairngorm topazes, are found in parts. Salmon fishing is carried on to a considerable extent. A great battle was fought here in the 14th century, between the Mackays and the Macleods; and at a place known as Craigcaoineadham (the Rock of Sorrow) in this parish, Colonel Strachan, in 1650, defeated the Marquis of Montrose, previous to the betrayal of the last named at Assynt. The hamlet of Kincardine, possessing a small harbour, is situated on the coast, 2 miles S.E. of Bonar Bridge."
"ARDGAY, a village in the parish of Kincardine, in the county of Ross, Scotland. It is situated near Bonar Bridge, and has daily public conveyance to Tain."
"CROICH, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Kincardine, in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 3 miles from Boner."
"ROSEHALL, a district in the parish of Kincardine, county Ross, Scotland. Its principal attraction is Rosehall House, situated amidst woods and pleasure-grounds near the confluence of Casslie water with the river Oickel. There are a Free Church and a mission chapel."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003