"KINTAIL, a parish in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It is surrounded by the parishes of Glenshiel and Lochalsh, and a part of the county of Inverness, and is situated between lochs Dunach and Long. It comprises the villages of Dornie (post-office), Bundalloch, and Kintail. Its average size is 13 miles by 6, and its surface for the most part consists of mountain pasture, well adapted for all kinds of stock. The parish is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £117, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church is so old that the roof fell in during divine service, in October, 1855, but without injury to any. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship at Dornie. In this district are two Society's schools. Not far from the church is Diamond's tomb. Donan Castle, which belonged to the Seaforth family, was battered down in 1719. In the neighbourhood is the waterfall of Glomach. The parish is wholly encompassed by mountains, of which Tullochard, the loftiest, commands a distant prospect of the Hebrides."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Kintail from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Kintail.