KINTAIL - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KINTAIL, a parish in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It is surrounded by the parishes of Glenshiel and Lochalsh, and a part of the county of Inverness, and is situated between lochs Dunach and Long. It comprises the villages of Dornie (post-office), Bundalloch, and Kintail. Its average size is 13 miles by 6, and its surface for the most part consists of mountain pasture, well adapted for all kinds of stock. The parish is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £117, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church is so old that the roof fell in during divine service, in October, 1855, but without injury to any. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship at Dornie. In this district are two Society's schools. Not far from the church is Diamond's tomb. Donan Castle, which belonged to the Seaforth family, was battered down in 1719. In the neighbourhood is the waterfall of Glomach. The parish is wholly encompassed by mountains, of which Tullochard, the loftiest, commands a distant prospect of the Hebrides."
"BUNDALOCH, a village adjoining Dornie, in the parish of Kintail, in the county of Ross, Scotland, on the N.E. shore of Loch Long, 10 miles to the S. of Jeantown. It is seated near the shore of Loch Alsh."
"CROE-WATER, a stream in the parish of Kintail, in the county of Ross, Scotland, falling into Loch Duich. It gives name to a district."
"DORNIE, a village with Bundaloch, in the parish of Kintail, in the county of Ross, Scotland, 13 miles N. of Ullapool."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]