"KNOCKBAIN, a parish in county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It contains the villages of Charleston and Munlochy, and was formed in 1750 by the union of the ancient parishes of Kilmuir, Wester, and Suddy. It is so named from the church having been erected on the bleak muir of Knockbain. It is 7 miles in length and 6 in breadth, and is divided into districts by an arm of the Moray Firth or Bay of Munlochy. The surface is smooth, and rises gradually from the coast to the summit of the Mullbuy. The soil in general is good. About 3,000 acres are under tillage, and there are extensive plantations. The parish is in the presbytery of Chanonry and synod of Ross, in the patronage of the crown and the Marchioness of Stafford. The minister's stipend is £233. The parish church is a commodious structure, and was enlarged some forty years ago. There is a Free church, an Episcopalian chapel, and three non-parochial schools. A battle was fought here in the 13th century between the Macdonalds and the inhabitants of Inverness."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Knockbain from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.