"LOCHALSH, a parish in the county Ross, Scotland, 10 miles S.W. of Lochcarron. It includes the village of Plockton. It is situated between lochs Ling and Carron, opposite Skye, from which Loch Alsh (a strait about 8 miles by 3), divides it. The length of the parish, which is mountainous, is 28 miles, and its greatest breadth 8. It contains about 67,000 acres, by far the greater proportion of which consists of hilly pasture. The parish has several good fishing harbours, and also about five sailing vessels belonging to it. It is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £161. The church is a modern and commodious structure. At Plockton there is a Government church and Free churches, both at Lochalsh and Plockton. The only mansion is Balmacars, the seat of --- Lillingstone, Esq., the sole landowner."
"CRAIG INN, a village in the parish of Lochalsh, in the county of Ross."
"PLOCTON, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Lochalsh, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Strome Castle. There are a government and a Free church."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003