"LOCHBROOM, a parish partly in the county of Ross Cromarty, Scotland. It includes the village of Ullapool, and also a village of its own name, which is 28 miles N.W. of Dingwall. It is situated on the coast along which lie the Summer Isles, Martin Isle, Horse Isle, Greinord Isle, and a few islets, all of which belong to this parish. The coast line is deeply indented., and measures, in a straight line, about 20 miles, but along the windings it is almost 100 miles. The size of the parish is 36 miles by 20. It is for the most part hilly cattle walks, except the valleys, some of which are very fertile. The rivers Broom and Meikle are the chief streams. It is in the presbytery of Lochcarron and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £299. The parish church is a modern and commodious edifice. There is a quoad sacra church, and a Free church, at Ullapool; and there is likewise a Free church at Coigach. About half of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries, and the produce of the district (which comprises 43 creeks) was in 1854, as near as possible, 1,328 barrels of herrings, and 117,194 cod and ling fish. Throughout the parish are several old forts."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Lochbroom from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.