"LOCHS, a parish in the S.E. division of the Isle of Lewis, partly in county Ross, and partly in county Cromarty, Scotland, 9 miles S.S.W. of Stornoway, its post town. It includes a number of islets, of which the Shiant Isles are the chief. It abounds with inland lakes and harbours, usually termed lochs, viz: Seaforth, Shell, Clay, Brolum, near Ushenish Point, Luerbost, Hourn, &c., and from this circumstance derives its name. Its coast, which is about 90 miles long, is generally of a very bold and rocky character. The length of the parish is about 18 miles, and its average breadth about 9. The surface is for the most part flat. There are about 2,500 acres under tillage, and 120,000 pastoral or waste. The parish is in the presbytery of Lewis and synod of Glenelg, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £158. The parish church is a modern and commodious structure. Here is a Free church, and also four non-parochial schools."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]