"RESOLIS, (or Kirkmichael), a parish in the district of Easter Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Gordon's Mills and Jemima. It extends in length about 8 miles, with a varying breadth of from 3 to 4 miles. It is bounded on the W. and N. sides by Cromarty Firth, and on the other sides by the parishes of Cromarty, Rosemarkie, Avoch, and Urquhart. The surface is moderately even, except towards the water shed of the Mullbury, where it rises considerably. The arable land is chiefly in the valley, which reaches nearly across the parish. It is watered by the Resolisburn, which works two or three mills in its course, and finally falls into Cromarty Firth at Gordon Mills. There are traces of lead ore. Old Red sandstone is the predominant rock. The soil is generally of an unproductive nature, except on the banks of the Resolisburn. In the vicinity are many Danish earthworks and other ancient remains. This parish is in the presbytery of Chanonry and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is £252. The church was rebuilt in 1830. There is a parochial school, also two other schools. The principal seats are Poyntsfield and Braelangwell."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)