"ROSEMARKIE, a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, It is in con junction with the town of Fortrose, which is within this parish. It extends in length about 6 miles from S.W. to N.E., and has an average breadth of from 2 to 3 miles. It is bounded by the Moray Firth, and by the parishes of Avoch, Kirkmichael, and Cromarty. The surface is moderately even, rising towards Mullbuy Hill. The coast is rocky in parts, with fearful precipices, full of caves, the resort of seals, otters, &c.; but at the "links," in Rosemarkie Bay, it assumes a more level character, and is frequented by the lovers of the golf game. A large portion of the land is in an excellent state of cultivation, and generally wears a thriving aspect. The town of Rosemarkie is about 6 miles S.W. of Cromarty, and is situated in a healthy spot at Chanonry ferry to Fort George. In the vicinity are the ruins of the cathedral, once the seat of the bishops of Ross, containing the tomb of St. Boniface, the founder; of the Regent Murray, of David II.'s time; and of a Danish chief, who fell at Mullbuy. There are also remains of an ancient cross. The prevailing rocks are the Old Red sandstone formation, but those of the sea cliffs are chiefly gneiss. This parish is in the presbytery of Chanonry, synod of Ross, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is £252. The parish church was erected in 1822. At Fortrose are a Free church, Episcopalian chapel, a chapel-of-ease, and a chapel for Baptists. There are also a parochial school and a Free Church school; but the chief school is Fortrose academy, under the superintendence of the rector."
"CHANONRY, a town in the parish of Rosemarkie, in the county of Ross, Scotland. It was united to the burgh of Rosemarkie by a charter granted by James II., and the united towns have since been known by the name of Fortrose. It was formerly the seat of the bishops of Ross, and is now a presbytery of the Established and Free Churches. On Chanonry Point a fixed light was put up in 1846, which can be seen for 11 miles."
"FORTROSE, (or Fortross), a royal burgh and post town in the parish of Rosemarkie, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 7 miles S.S.W. of Cromarty. It is situated on the banks of the Firth of Moray, where the ferry crosses to Fort George, and is a subport to Inverness. It consists of a political combination of the towns of Chanonry and Rosemarkie, united by charter dated 1444. Here are the parish church, chapel-of-ease, Free church, Episcopal and Baptist chapels, a parish school, Fortress Academy, and some other educational establishments. Rosemarkie was incorporated as a royal burgh by Alexander II., and Chanonry was long the seat of the bishops of Ross, whose palace and the cathedral were destroyed by Oliver Cromwell. The ruins of the cathedral are deserving of particular notice, and contain remains of interesting monuments. This burgh unites with Inverness in returning one member to parliament. It is governed by a provost and 15 councillors. Sheriff's and small-debt courts are held here. Shoe-making and weaving give employment to many of the inhabitants; others are occupied in the shipping and fisheries. The chapter-house of the old cathedral serves as a town-house. A good harbour was constructed in 1817. Dr. George Mackenzie is buried here, and Sir Andrew Murray, the Regent, is interred at Rosemarkie. Friday is market day. Fairs are held on the first Wednesday in April and November, and the third in June."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003