"ROSEMARKIE, a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, It is in con junction with the town of Fortrose, which is within this parish. It extends in length about 6 miles from S.W. to N.E., and has an average breadth of from 2 to 3 miles. It is bounded by the Moray Frith, and by the parishes of Avoch, Kirkmichael, and Cromarty. The surface is moderately even, rising towards Mullbuy Hill. The coast is rocky in parts, with fearful precipices, full of caves, the resort of seals, otters, &c.; but at the "links," in Rosemarkie Bay, it assumes a more level character, and is frequented by the lovers of the golf game. A large portion of the land is in an excellent state of cultivation, and generally wears a thriving aspect. The town of Rosemarkie is about 6 miles S.W. of Cromarty, and is situated in a healthy spot at Chanonry ferry to Fort George. In the vicinity are the ruins of the cathedral, once the seat of the bishops of Ross, containing the tomb of St. Boniface, the founder; of the Regent Murray, of David II.'s time; and of a Danish chief, who fell at Mullbuy. There are also remains of an ancient cross. The prevailing rocks are the Old Red sandstone formation, but those of the sea cliffs are chiefly gneiss. This parish is in the presbytery of Chanonry, synod of Ross, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is £252. The parish church was erected in 1822. At Fortrose are a Free church, Episcopalian chapel, a chapel-of-ease, and a chapel for Baptists. There are also a parochial school and a Free Church school; but the chief school is Fortrose academy, under the superintendence of the rector."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Rosemarkie from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.