"ROSSKEEN, a parish in the county of Ross, Scotland. It contains the villages of Bridgend, Saltburn, and Invergordon, at which last place is a safe harbour for vessels of 100 tons. It extends in length from 25 to 30 miles, with an extreme breadth of about 12, and is bounded on the S.E. by the Cromarty Frith, and on its other sides by the parishes of Alness, Kincardine, Edderton, and Kelmuir. The portion containing the greater part of the population extends about 10 miles N.W. from the frith, with a mean breadth of about 6 miles. The surface is moderately even, except on the Kincardine boundary, where the Cairn-Coinneag mountains rise to an altitude of about 3,000 feet above sea-level. The land is chiefly in heathy pasture and sheep walks. There are three or four lakes, but none of magnitude. The Balnagowan river takes its rise in this parish, but soon recedes from it into Kilmuir. The lower portion of the south-western boundary is traversed by the river Alness. The coast line is about 6 miles in length, and indented by several small creeks and havens, which facilitate fishing and commerce. The predominant rock is Old Red sandstone, which is quarried to some extent on the southern border. The soil on the high grounds was naturally of a spongy and light nature, but has been improved to a rich loam, and in the low lands it is of various qualities, alternating betwixt gravel, loam, and a strong clay. The parish is traversed by the road from Dingwall to Tain. There is a ferry at Invergordon to Kirkmichael, and an extensive grain mill at Dalmore. In the vicinity are an obelisk and several cairns. This parish is in the presbytery of Tain and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is £157. The church is situated about 1½ mile W. from Invergordon. There are also a Free church, five Free Church schools, and a private girls' school. W. Mackintosh, author of several works, was born in this parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Rosskeen from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.